Remix South: Day #1


Today was the first of two days in the Remix South convention and this is my wrap up the day and the things I learned.

After running the front with the Remix South team and getting all the registered member's their name tags, schedules and raffle tickets; (winners will be announced tomorrow - as well as the prizes ) I made my way to Modern Web Development Workshop. Shawn Wildermuth was the speaker and this workshop focused on building a web page with better server communication.

I moved on shortly after the introduction of jQuery and moved onto the other workshop: Professional Sketching - by Jason Alderman. One of the things that stuck in my mind that Jason had said to me prior at the AWDG meetup, "sketching doesn't necessarily mean artist skill but what can be applied in your daily workflow".

Later in the workshop the room was spit into groups and we had a team project of creating a photo to printer app; which involved group brainstorming, accessibility and sketching. The room was a-buzz with teams working on their sketched which later where reviewed by the us. After the team project was over Jason went into creating detailed sketch notes, typography and more practical exercises.

The UX workshop ran into lunch (which was not hassle for me) and one of the things I must say is the venue: Renaissance Waverly Hotel is a beautiful building with enjoyable catering, excellent staff and a abundance of free coffee!

After lunch (and a bit of networking) it was time of the second set of workshops and panels and I took a seat in the Hands-On Responsive Web Design with Ben Callahan; which I must say was personally the highlight of my day.
Responsive Web Design is basically the accessibility of web pages depending on the browser size and making the web page adjust the way content is viewed accordingly. There were code exercised create fluid web pages as well as detailed information Media Queries, Deliverables and upcoming responsive trends.

I found it intriguing that I had sketched notes in the way I had learned in the prior sketching workshop.
I really enjoyed the first day of workshops and panels and well as the networking and potential job opportunities with recruiting sponsors. Bring on day two! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portfolio -- The App!

Super Ninja Boy